Queen Creek, Arizona
Havok rider, John Schilling is originally from Allentown, Pennsylvania.His passion for bikes started back east in the BMX Freestyle Flatland scene. He eventually moved west to attend college and was immediately drawn to the desert lifestyle. A few years later, a friend introduced John to mountain biking. He instantly fell in love and bought a bike the next day. That was in 1994. Nearly 15 years later, John learned about long distance events and began adding miles to his rides. He quickly caught the bikepacking bug and has since become known in the mountain biking community as the Hike-a-Bike King.
John is a regional adviser for Bikepacking Roots, resides over the Arizona Trail Race, and is a Trailforks moderator for Arizona.
I love the freedom that bikes allow me, and the places they take me. I love the people I meet and the friends willing to try out a new ‘adventure’ route not knowing how rideable the trails may (or may not) be. I’m known to enjoy a good hike-a-bike!!
- Tour Divide Mountain Bike Race – 2019, 1800 miles Banff, AB to Salida, CO
- Tally Tango 160 – 2018
- Colorado Trail Race – 2017
- Arizona Trail Race 750 – 2016
- Queens Ransom – annual host since 2014
- Arizona Trail Race 300 – 2013
Bike – Titanium hAVOK
- Drivetrain – SRAM GX and X01 Eagle, 12-speed
- Brakes – Shimano XT
- Fork – Lauf TR29
- Wheel Build – NOBL TR33 Carbon / SON 28 Dynamo (front) and DT Swiss 240s Boost